Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Autumn Colors of the Apricot Tree - Painting

I love color
and good food
And the  best way to spend an afternoon is with a


 + some paints

Source

 AND an empty canvas!

My source of inspiration for the painting was a calendar photograph portraying the natural beauty of lower Swat. And as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to paint this wonderful autumn landscape in a symphony of greens, yellows and oranges.

I started off with a quick sketch -jotting the main features of the composition. Then outlined the main parts of the painting with a wash of Ultramarine Blue + Cadmium Yellow + Crimson.


Next, I painted glimpses of sky between the branches and leaves and painted the rocks in the foreground.


I continued with the under painting..


slowly building up the foliage and painting the trees and branches.  I decided to use strong acrylic colors to help convey a riot of autumnal color.



Next came highlights and shadows.



And finally more detail in the foreground - the fallen leaves.



Here's my finished piece (and some close ups)!








xx

No comments:

Post a Comment